Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Client Was Only Naive



THISDAY June 21, 2003

Online Reference:
http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2003/06/21/20030621cov03.html


My Client Was Only Naïve


Adesina Ogunlana, a Lagos based lawyer represents Dr. Oriaku and was present while he was interviewed. Initially, Ogunlana insisted on speaking on his client's behalf even as he complained that his client has been unfairly treated by the media.


"These people who studied science don't talk much and they are sometimes not articulate so it's better am around. Moreover the media especially (mentions the name of TV station) disappointed me, no one except a soft sell magazine bothered to contact my client to hear his side of the story."

The case at hand

Personally I do not deny the parents their right they should feel for their child. But there are questions that we need to answer, since May 14 has any of the students died or fallen sick? The girl at the centre of this controversy she was coherent and healthy when we met at the House, she admitted that my client did not force her. They should not destroy my client's career because once in a while every professional, in any field runs into a storm.

My client is no pervert he is no fiend, the best he could be accused of was naivety. Even the letter he wrote to the woman people should read it in context.

As it were...

Am particularly happy that the earlier claim that my client was a ritualist tearing the pants of underage kids person, using naked fingers on the private part of youngsters has been abandoned by the people accusing my client and what remained now is the issue of consent.

Was there parental consent?

I cannot speak for the school authorities but my client asked the school whether the parents consented and the answer was positive. In fact at the House of Assembly the question was put to the woman, the proprietor, she said he (the doctor) asked. When asked what her reply was, she said she forgot.

But even at that...

Some have suggested that despite that my client should have gone the extra mile on insisting on having the consent in written form, or having the parents present at the test. I would not disagree with that, to the extent that extra mile is an extra mile, that is fulfilling all righteousness. But as the Yorubas would say, Ijalode lorin dowe, (During quarrels the simplest of songs are misconstrued).

Once beaten...

Am sure that my client has learnt his lessons from this episode. That is, we are in a highly suspicious heterogeneous society, where any evil can happen, any evil can be imagined. Am sure the next time even when somebody brings a written consent my client would insist that the parents should be there. Once beaten twice shy.

No comments: